As an educator and musician I’m always working on developing and honing my own skills. This has me on a search for better and better teachers as I learn and grow. I’m excited to share that I’m bringing one of my very own teachers to the table to share his wisdom and expertise with you. I’m thrilled to introduce Ray Harmony, who’ll be teaching our newest course, Music Hacking for Electronic Musicians!
For the past year, I’ve been blessed to be working with Ray on Music theory and composition. Even though I’ve been a musician my whole life, the impact that working with Ray has had on my music, and my understanding of music, has been “nothing short of unreal”.
Music theory is the language of music, and if you’re making music, you’re using music theory. Music Hacking for Electronic Musicians is for everyone from complete beginners to professional producers who make music by ear and want to learn how to use the power of music theory to elevate their songwriting. This course will inspire and empower you to confidently create faultless songs on a watertight foundation of music theory.
“Ray has a totally unique approach to hack music theory and give you the essentials in a fraction of the time.” – Vespers
IMPORTANT: Music Hacking for Electronic Musicians was a 100% live-streamed, online, interactive course that happened over 4 weeks in July of 2016. Over the course of these 4 weeks Ray taught 4 different modules on chords, bass, vocals, and songs, with dedicated question & answer periods. Each week we recorded the webinar, as many of our students who could not attend the live webinar schedule still wanted to participate. As such, many students still find great value from registering and watching the recordings! For those of you wanting to let the information sink in deep we give you lifetime access to the recordings so you can watch them as many times as you like!
What You’ll Learn
After taking Music Hacking for Electronic Musicians we guarantee you’ll be able to:
- Compose flawless melodies and chord progressions
- Apply relevant music theory hacks to raise your songwriting to a professional level
- Make songs that stand out musically by using methods unknown in electronic music
- Unleash your full creative force and keep your music fresh
- Develop your own musical style
- Inspire yourself by tapping into the limitless well of musical ideas
- Say goodbye to “writer’s block” once and for all
- Analyze your favourite musicians/producers and learn their musical tricks
- Fluently communicate using the language of music
What You Get
Over the course of 4 modules, Ray reveals the secrets behind his composing process, from start to finish of a song.
In Music Hacking for Electronic Musicians you’ll get:
- All the MIDI files created to use and work with in your own music
- 4 x 3 hour webinar recordings, including, dedicated question and answer periods with Ray during each module
- Lifetime access to the webinar recordings of each module!
- A PDF with all of the songwriting hacks learned throughout the 4 modules
- A pre-release of Ray’s “Hack Music Theory, Part 1: Learn scales & chords in 30 minutes” eBook (“The most brilliant, fast, easy, and fun music theory book I’ve ever seen!” – Derek Sivers (CD Baby founder, TED speaker, author)
- Student Discounts of 20-60% off our partners and third party plugin providers! (including Ableton Live & iZotope software, xFer’s Serum Synth and more!)
An Interview with Ray Harmony
- Module 1 – Chord Hacking
- Shortcut for all chords in all keys
- Composing impeccable chord progressions
- How to say No to boring block chords
- Re-arranging notes to make chords flow
- Turning enemy chords into friends
- Root notes vs. Bass notes
- Module 2 – Bass Hacking
- Going beyond root note bass lines
- Motif hunting & what to do when you catch one
- Composing flawless melodies
- Drums after bass, never before
- Syncopating bass/drums for originality
- Adding layers with countering synth lines
- Module 3 – Vocal Hacking
- What makes a great vocal line
- Composing catchy yet creative melodies
- Listening to what the song wants
- How to hunt for vocal motifs
- Writing lyrics and hooks
- Adding countering backup vocals
- Module 4 – Song Hacking
- Making a bassline to a chord progression
- Making a chord progression to a bassline
- Why one scale does not fit all sections
- How to pick scales for different sections
- Modulations that don’t suck
- Song structure and arrangement
What People Are Saying
“The most brilliant, fast, easy, and fun music theory book I’ve ever seen!”
– Derek Sivers (CD Baby founder, TED speaker, author)
“If you have been put off music theory in the past, then this is the book to inspire and empower you.”
– Dr Victoria Williamson (Vice Chancellor’s Fellow researcher and lecturer in Music at the University of Sheffield UK, author of ‘You Are The Music’)
“Trust Ray, and in no time you’ll have a watertight music theory skill set you once thought impossible to obtain.”
– Pat Lundy (Modestep, ex-Funeral For A Friend)
“Ray manages to make learning music theory fascinating, digestible, and damn right cool!”
– Joe Copcutt (AxeWound, Zoax)
“This is the kind of book I wish I had when I first started out.”
– Ihsahn (Emperor)
About Ray Harmony aka. Ray Holroyd
Ray Harmony has dedicated his life to using the power of music to inspire positive change in the world, which he does through Revolution Harmony. Ray is a British African based in Canada, and an award-winning music lecturer, composer, performer, producer, and journalist. He has been studying music for over 30 years, and teaching it for over 20.
Ray’s first No.1 single was back in 1996 in his birth country of South Africa, and during the last few years in Canada he’s been making music with multiplatinum Grammy-winning artists (Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine, Serj Tankian of System of a Down, Kool Keith of Ultramagnetic MCs, Madchild of Swollen Members, and many more), then donating all the proceeds to charities. Between his time in South Africa and Canada, Ray immigrated to England where he spent a decade lecturing music theory and composition at EHWLC in London, one of Britain’s largest colleges. He was the course director and lead internal verifier for the music department, and was honoured to win the college’s prestigious Vocational Qualification Hero and Learner First awards.
Ray’s education is a unique blend of ‘classical’ from the UK’s Royal Schools of Music (piano, guitar, and theory, all to the highest grade) and ‘contemporary’ from the USA’s Musicians Institute in Los Angeles, where he graduated from their guitar program. He also studied education and did his teaching qualification at EHWLC.
Ray has been writing for various music publications (Kerrang!, etc.) every month since 2009, and he used to be the editor of a guitar magazine as well, until he once again moved countries. He ran a couple of record labels, too, but nowadays he spends all his time making music, teaching music, and writing about music.
Listen to a Preview of “Vespers & Ray Harmony – Create/Generate (feat. Kate Harmony)”
In my musical journey I am now able to divide my music into two clear categories: stuff I wrote before working with Ray, and stuff I wrote after.
Ray and I have been working tirelessly in the studio and today we are excited to share a preview of our newest collaboration ‘Create/Generate (feat. Kate Harmony)’, and is a free sneak peek of what will be the featured song in Music Hacking with Electronic Musicians!