It’s my mission to explore, expand and exploit the boundaries of what is musically possible with Ableton Live. Whether you’re a singer, an instrumentalist, or a producer looking to collaborate with other musicians, I’m committed to helping you push those boundaries and giving you all the tools you need to make your dream live performance a reality!
Navigating Ableton Live’s vast array of features and preferences can be a difficult task, and developing a reliable system for integrating live instruments on stage can be confusing and overwhelming. I’m excited to have the pleasure of introducing producer, teacher and violinist, Michael Fraser, who brings more than a decade of experience helping musicians excel at live performance. He’s come on board to teach the newest course on Vespers.ca, Live on Stage.
Live on Stage with Michael Fraser was a interactive online webinar course where Michael taught how to combine Ableton Live’s power features, and your live instrument of choice, to create a superb and stellar performance on stage and in the studio!
Live on Stage with Michael Fraser – An Introduction
IMPORTANT: Live on Stage with Michael Fraser was a 100% live-streamed, online, interactive course. During this 4-hour live interactive webinar session Michael taught all the tools necessary for incorporating live instruments into an Ableton Live performance. The webinar session was recorded. Many of our students who could not attend the live webinar still find great value from registering and watching the recording! For those of you wanting to let the information sink in deep we give you lifetime access to the recording so you can watch it as many times as you like!
What You’ll Learn
This course will give you every tool you need so you can jam with your instrument seamlessly while performing Live, either on-stage or while recording in the studio, and with other musicians. After taking Live on Stage, we guarantee that you will be able to:
- Incorporate live instruments into an Ableton Live performance
- Build your own custom live performance template
- Jam and collaborate with ANY musician while using Ableton Live
- Plug your real world instruments into the digital world
- Set up your hardware and live instruments for a rock solid Ableton Live performance
- Create original music while you jam
- Live Loop your live instrument
- Add in Colour FX to take your performance to the next level
- Engineer the perfect live sound using mixing FX
- Create your own effect racks and combine them to enhance your personal template
- Turn your live performance into MIDI and synthesize your playing
What You Get
Michael shared his own custom Ableton Live performance template, how he loops and does live mixing, including a variety of live FX techniques. In Live on Stage, you’ll get:
- 4 hours of 1080p, HD webinar video recordings with Michael, including dedicated question & answer periods
- Lifetime access to the webinar video recording
- Michael’s personal Ableton Live performance template
- Michael’s build-up ready effect racks
- A copy of Michael’s latest productions “Django Style”, “Jump & Swing”, “LoverzZz”
- Student Discounts of 20-60% off our partners and third party plugin providers! (including Ableton Live & iZotope software, xFer’s Serum Synth and more!)
- Module 1 – Building a Performance Template
- Setting up your hardware
- Creating your Ableton layout
- Organizing your setup
- Module 2 – Sound Checking
- Line testing vs. Sound checking
- Plugging In
- Balancing Levels
- Communicating with a Sound Engineer for Monitoring
- Module 3 – Preparing a Live Jam
- What is Jamming? How can I Jam this in a live setting?
- Basic Improvisation
- Communicating with other Musicians.
- Module 4 – Live Looping
- Why do live looping?
- An overview of Live’s Looper
- Setting up Live’s Looper (with a foot-switch)
- Example of aLive Looping performance
- Module 5 – Mixing FX
- Why a little goes a long way with mixing.
- Setting up your Mixing Rack
- How to use: Linear Phase EQ, Graphic EQ and Parametric EQ
- Module 6 – Colour FX
- Basic uses of: Echo, Filter, Distortion and Phase and Side-chain FX
- Utilizing LFO and Envelope settings
- Combining FX for more complex sounds
- How to use your FX to create space and texture
- Using FX to designa new sound for your instrument
- How FX can help you blend into the music live.
- Module 7 – Recording your Live Set and Enhancing the Mix
- How to record your live set and why you should do it.
- Creating your Mix
- Fine-tuning FX
- Adding Audio-to-MIDI instruments
- Mastering your Mix
- 2 Sessions of Q&A with webinar participants
- Q&A – Session 1 (After Module 4)
- Q&A – Session 2 (After Module 7)
About Michael Fraser
Michael’s musical journey and education began at age 4. At around 16, he had my first formal teaching experience as a volunteer workshop instructor at a fiddle camp in Port Townsend, Washington. For several years now, Michael has been teaching violin, DJing, and Ableton Live at Prussin Music in Vancouver, B.C., at the School of Remix, and via private lessons.
Michael has helped many of his students excel while discovering and developing their own incredible sense of musicality. Michael’s teaching method is a combination of traditional instruction and self-directed learning. He offers both high aptitude, skill-based teaching and creative personal development for each individual student.
As a performer Michael has had the pleasure in countries all over the world, and graced the stage at festivals such as Shambhala, Astral Harvest and Atmosphere to name a few.